Changes in the world economy over the past decades have led to an opening up of international markets, resulting in an increase in the volume of transporting fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants and other degradable produce. It has become more challenging to transport and store these perishable goods without unnecessary loss of quality. Controlled temperature transport and cold storage are good systems to use but these often prove not to be sufficient.
Refrigeration can slow or even stop the growth of certain pathogens and micro-organisms that cause decay, but will not eliminate them. It is generally recognised that storing food at 5°C is sufficient to prevent the growth of most common food-borne pathogens. However, some emerging psychrotrophic pathogens (bacteria that are capable of surviving or even thriving in a cold environment) such as Listeria Monocytogenes, Yersinia enterocolitica, Clostridum botulinum types A and E, Aeromonas hydrophyla, (entero-toxigenic), and E.coli are able to multiply slowly in an refrigerated environment but since psychro-trophic pathogens might eventually prevail, additional factors in the preservation system are needed for safety assurance.
Regular transit of agricultural and horticultural produce between countries has compelled national health authorities to strengthen preventive measures to combat diseases. Cleaning and disinfection are two of the most important elements in such measures. All transport and storage facilities for agricultural and horticultural produce are a potential risk in the spread of disease.
Bio4Spaces for disinfection :
Bio4Spaces - Is a biocide, an excellent disinfectant and antiseptic. It releases oxygen radicals, which are toxic to many micro-organisms, especially anaerobes.
Bio4Spaces - Is 100% biodegradable, thanks to its organic, food grade stabilisers. It is non toxic and thus, harmless to humans, animals and plants, provided it is used correctly.
Bio4Spaces – Is very active, it has a highly stable and has a long-lasting effect. It is one of our bio-products which represent a new generation of clean, safe, environmentally friendly biocides for the effective control of bacteria, viruses and fungi. This products is colourless, odourless and leaves no residue.
Applications of Bio4Spaces :
- Prevention and control of diseases affecting fruit and vegetables.
- Prevention and control of decay and damage caused by molds and bacteria.
- Avoiding adverse side effects caused by conventional treatment to prevent mold,e,g. after washing, optional finishing (dye bath) and waxing, citrus fruits are treated with fungicides, such as diphenyl, orthophenylphenol (OPP) and thiabendazole (TBZ), because they are susceptible to green and blue mold, but these fungicides may impair the flavour of the produce .
Advantages of Bio4Spaces :
- Lower costs and higher yields because of longer shelf life than other agricultural products.
- Non toxic, and thus harmless to humans, animals and plants, if used correctly.
- Highly active with a long-lasting stability.
- Effective control of pathogenic micro-organisms.
- Colourless and odourless and leaves no residue.
- Does not have any effect on the taste of produce.
- Eradicates odour-causing and slime-forming bacteria.
Bio4Spaces and fogging :
Bio4Spaces can also be introduced into any area via a fogging system for maximum decontamination and surface disinfection, leaving no residue or waste and is 100% biodegradable.